Black Friday Special at Bluehost.com! ONLY $2.65 for 36 month term on the Basic plan, plus a free domain name!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Once upon a time--for real--Oprah was not known world-wide, and we didn't realize yet that Ann Rule would be the undisputed Queen of True Crime (was true crime writing even a genre yet, really?). I was sitting with my brother-in-law, Tony, and our friend, Mike, and talking about Oprah's name and where on Earth it came from (shoot, where did SHE come from?), when a voice on television caught our attention.

It was Ann Rule, talking with Diane Downs, a convicted murderer of her own children, a psychopathic beast if ever there was one.  


This was back in the day where there was no Internet, no instant look-up, and even television was limited for most of us.


 It happened that I had read Ann's story, Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder (Signet), before the airing of this episode, causing me to sit spellbound throughout the interview (to this day, Diane Down's story is the most incredulous, mind-numbing true crime story I've ever studied).


 I now was hooked to Oprah, Ann Rule, and true crime faithfully.


Fast forward: Oprah is a country of her own, Ann Rule has put true crime on the writing genre map more than any other true crime writer, and I've remained faithful and dedicated to true crime, mostly advocating for victims through writing with sincere passion (even the years I was offline and out of whack).


I am pleased to say that though I have made a difference in lives, I am more honored and amazed at what a difference each of the families have made in my life. It takes a lot for a family to share their most intimate and painful secrets and to see them published for the world-talk about a near-crime within a crime, and yet, they do. 


For victims and their families, I dedicate this blog to finding the missing, solving the unsolved, and justice.



~~~



If you have a crime to share, we can promise nothing, but we give time, hope, exposure, and someone who cares; email us.

No comments:

Post a Comment